After capturing the final two majors in 2014 while wearing hyper bright colors, Rory McIlroy will carry this tradition into 2015 by teeing it up at the Masters in Nike’s day-glow volt color. This time, however, the volt color is being used as an accent to pop against a neutral palette of white, gray and black.
If you’ve watched Rory much this year, you’ve probably noticed that his clothes have a more tailored and fitted look than in previous years. His sleeves are shorter and narrower, and the fit of his polos is slimmer through the body. Part of this is due to a new material that Nike is using. The new engineered knit fabric features a natural-feeling polyester that provides ventilation, while also allowing for a full range of motion.
“Nike has done a great job of eliminating excess fabric,” McIlroy said. “The shirts fit really well, they’re modern, relevant and allow me excellent freedom of movement when I’m playing. Knowing that my clothing looks and feels good means I only have to concentrate on my game when I’m out on the course.”
SEE ALSO: Nike Golf Lifestyle Collection Lookbook
McIlroy starts off the week in the Major Moment Polo and wears that same polo in the reverse colorway on Saturday. Friday, McIlroy will compete in the Major Moment Launch Polo, which is a tip of the cap to Nike’s heritage with the Windrunner-inspired 26-degree angle design on the upper chest. On Sunday, he will wear the Nike Afterburner Polo with a volt-to-white dip-dyed effect.
For all four rounds, Rory will pair his polos with Nike’s new Modern Pant. This new trouser that Nike designed for McIlory is constructed with a stretch woven material for more mobility and breathability in the back below the waistline and finished in a sleek tapered fit.
The World No. 1 will complete his look each day with the Nike Lunar Control 3 shoe, with additional pops of volt on the midsole, and the Nike Tour Legacy Mesh Cap.
What We Like
- The clean aesthetics and athletic looks are a great fit for Rory’s style and game.
- The polos and pants are well tailored for a modern look and feel.
- The pops of color are eye-catching and add interest to the outfits without being over the top.
- The outerwear piece looks great.
What We Don’t Like
- Let’s face it. This script is a bit boring and will likely feel a little stale by the back nine on Sunday. Rory has been sporting some brilliant blues and greens this year. It will be disappointing to not see those colors at Augusta.
- Isn’t he going to look like a caddie in mostly white?
- Dip-dyed polos are trending, and the blue/white and black/grey colorways of the Afterburner Polo that Rory sported at The Honda Classic were on point. This volt/white colorway, however, looks like a laundry mishap involving a highlighter.
GolfThreads Grade: Par
Where can you buy Rory’s Nike Afterburner dip dyed golf shirt, colour Volt he wore during the Sunday Masters, April 12, 2015?
It is available on Nike.com. Here’s a link.